New Watch Recs

Ethos Endurance Forums Gate 9 Running Crew New Watch Recs

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katie
      Participant

My Garmin 235 is not charging anymore*. It’ll be 4 years old on Jan 2 and most likely has reached the max discharges for the lithium ion battery.

I was looking at the Forerunner 945. Any other recs? Any experiences with the 945?

* Yep, I tried hard resetting; factory settings; etc.
      I could send it in to get the battery replaced, but at $100, it’s a bit steep for the age of my watch. My watch also has some other issues – for the last year, it’ll note miles, but have the wrong count (e.g., it’ll tell me I’ve run 22 miles when I know I’m on mile 3… but the mile marker itself is correct. So something internally isn’t working correctly.). I may tried to repair it to learn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvxwuGMmdL4), but that doesn’t seem long term either (but it’s about $15).

saquila
      Keymaster

Hi Katie, I would review recommendations on dcrainmaker.com. The 945 is a great watch. I have the 935 (no music storage) and it has worked great. Coros is coming along nicely with their watch as well and is targeted towards the ultra market with a crazy amount of battery life. I would review your health insurance coverage as you probably get a significant discount on one of the common GPS watches. Enjoy!

KatieEdmonds
      Participant

I love my 245, but I miss having an altimeter, which the 945 has. I’m sure the extra battery life of the 945 could come in handy. It seems like both have a decent set of fancy doodads that are an upgrade from the previous generation. Given the price and size difference, I’m maybe not too sad about ending up without the altimeter.

timshier
      Participant

I currently have 3 Garmin watches: Forerunner 35, Forerunner 935, and Vivoactive 4S.

The 35 was my first running watch. It’s super simple… no bells and whistles… but it’s been great and I still use it. It’s about the cheapest Garmin watch there is and if you’re ok with just the basic stats during your run then it’s great.

The 935 is solid… kinda just the 35 on steroids. Fancier screen and more doo-dads. I got this one and have used it about a month, but then decided I really wanted a watch that I could load music onto too.

So I got the Vivoactive 4S. I’ve only used it a few times but I really like it so far. It has a touch screen, which I definitely don’t need on my watch, but I’ve found I like it fine. It seems to have most of the same doo-dads as the 935 but now I can listen to music while running without having to strap my phone to me.

That’s what I’ve got. If you think you’d like the 935 ok, you can have mine. I really don’t need 3 watches, and it’s basically brand new. Or if you’d even just like to try it out, just let me know.

KatieEdmonds
        Participant

Does the 935 have “Virtual Run” mode that can talk to zwift, or is that something that was only added for x45? Pace Pro is only x45, right?

timshier
        Participant

Nope, the 935 doesn’t have virtual run mode

Katie
      Participant

Thanks, Tim! Can I try your 935?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.