Stretches for Hips and IT Band

Ethos Endurance Forums Gate 9 Running Crew Stretches for Hips and IT Band

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      saquila
      Keymaster

I like this stretch quite a bit to open up your hips: Tactical Frog

Also, 2-3 times a week add 3 x 10 sets hip bridges. You may want to start with one set the first week and add a set each week until you hit the 3 x 10 goal.

Great series of stretches for your IT band here.

You may want to incorporate some Monster Walks. I also like keeping the band on and doing some lateral steps too.

Reminder that a little goes a long way. Don’t be the injured athlete that aggravates their niggle or injury with too much stretching!

Lynne
      Participant

Thank you!!!

Katie
      Participant

I’ve been doing monster walks wrong… good to know.

KatieEdmonds
      Participant

I’ve been struggling with ITB/hip-flexor/something-not-quite-right on one side. I think I still need to mostly avoid stretching, but I’ve tried some hip bridges, lateral steps, and monster walks. When the IT band was definitely flaring up, I tried following the ITB rehab routine from strengthrunning.com , and it worked well as a quick fix, but I don’t think it addresses the underlying issues. More recently I have been the MYRTL routine.

saquila
      Keymaster

Good info. Try the tactical frog stretch. I find it helps me when I get a niggle that may be hip related.

Greek Goddess
      Participant

@Katie I can tell you from personal experience that pregnancy may have thrown off your hips and you may have to be realigned. I struggled with that for a while and it manifested in piriformis and glut issues. Have you seen a PT for some baseline functional mobility testing?

KatieEdmonds
        Participant

I definitely have something out of alignment and the major reason I haven’t seen anyone for it is the problem with my neck is worse ???? (also baby-related). I need to make that happen!

saquila
      Keymaster

Ask and you shall receive! Special thanks to our G9RC member Liz Demoss for sharing her work with her Mom, Mary, and us.

October Core

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.