Training Zones

Ethos Endurance Forums Gate 9 Running Crew Training Zones

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      saquila
      Keymaster

Have you run a race or completed a run test recently? Curious how you should be training for the different intervals we run? Wonder what your race performance would be for a different distance? This vDot Calculator will give you all this info and more. Try it today!

saquila
      Keymaster

Another calculator you can use if you run a mile fast: Magic Mile Calculator

Katie
      Participant

Galloway does the run-walk method. What do you think of Galloway’s method?

saquila
      Keymaster

I love the run/walk method. I use it when I race too!

tkase@indiana.edu
      Participant

I’m trying to figure out what pace I can hold for 13.1 miles. Using our race results from the one mile, 5K and 10K, plus the vDot Calculator, I am coming up with a pace that seems aggressive. I typically try for even splits, sometimes have positive splits, often feel like dying at the end of half/full marathon. Wanting to really dial in on the 10.31 half. Have any of you calculated your paces based on the vDot calculator, or come up with a pacing plan that you feel good with based on your current training?

saquila
        Keymaster

I think it would be great if you focus on negative splitting this race despite the “assertive” pace. At the end of the day, each course and weather conditions will determine our final time. Our goal is to execute the best possible race within our current form/fitness.

I do think my vDot is a good snapshot of where I am right now. I also have significant experience using my heart rate to race. I will set my race parameters using both of those metrics.

I typically like to pace a half marathon as follows:

0 – 3.1 miles is about settling into the race. I may be a touch slower than my goal pace.
        3.1 – 10 miles is about doing the work. Running at race pace and ticking off the miles
        10 – 13.1 miles I focus on lifting my effort, finishing strong, and emptying my tank at faster than race pace.

I will be using walk breaks to hydrate and fuel too.

I know you are fit right now. I would love to see you finish this one strong by holding back a bit in the beginning! No easy way.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by saquila.
      Lynne
      Participant

Sort of related to pacing, Garmin has added a new Pace Pro feature. If your Garmin is compatible, use USB to connect your Garmin to your computer running the free Garmin Express app to install it. You set your pace goals and add it like tou do a Garmin Workout. As you run it shows where you are compared to your goal and adjusts your pace to account for it. Pretty neat-o.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Lynne.
      Lynne
      Participant
      tkase@indiana.edu
      Participant

This is all helpful. Thank you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.